What is Wharekawa Coast 2120 about?
A jointly developed and community-led plan – Wharekawa Coast 2120.
- Working together with our communities, councils and iwi to look at a range of issues over the next 100 years.
- Using technical expertise to help us understand the issues.
- Planning how we will respond to natural hazard risks in the future, because recognising what we know about these risks may change 10, 20 and 100 years down the track.
- Looking at opportunities for the growth and development of our communities on the Kaiaua Coast.
What have we done so far?
- The setting up work is done therefore we need you!
- It was agreed that our council, the regional council and Iwi, will work together on a joint Working Party to oversee the project.
- A group of Waikato Regional Council, Waikato District Council, and Hauraki District Council staff to work on the project.
- There are consultants with expertise in adaptive planning to help us.
- We’ve drafted the project plan and timeline.
- We’ve updated work on hazards for the area.
What’s coming up next?
- The community panel meets monthly
- The Joint Working Party meets quarterly
- Community catch-ups are being planned